Monday, January 19, 2009

Stuff I'm Thinking About Now...NFL, Twilight, Politics (in that order)


1. YEAH, Cardinals! So, Andy and I went to Vegas for Superbowl weekend like 5 years in a row with Deron and Shelly (PARTY!). But, we haven't been the last 3 years... :( In addition, when we moved to Arizona (1995 - scary, huh?) we became Cardinal fans. We figure if you have a local team, you should support it! Now that we've moved to Utah, they start winning???? We can still claim them, though, because Utah doesn't have an NFL team. So Sunday, Andy and I watched both games, and celebrated when the Cardinals won. I love that they have struggled and struggled, had so many promising players pass through the team (most of them going on to glory elsewhere),and gone through so many coaches, but PERSEVERED!

2. Twilight - I know it's wrong, but I'm obsessed. Okay, maybe not as much as some people, but for me to be obsessed is a big deal...there's always another book out there, another movie coming out. I just feel empty now that I've finished reading the books again and the movie doesn't come out until MAR. 21...special order your advanced copies, folks! Also, I check almost DAILY to see if she's restarted Midnight Sun... I told you, it's sick, but at least I know that I have a problem.

3. Political - I've been wondering if adding my personal thoughts here would upset those people who just tune in for the family photos. I'm not trying to wax poetic or sound existential (that's Andy's job, anyway), but occasionally, I have a lot in here that needs to come out. The news coverage, especially today (1/19) is upsetting me...if we were truly over this huge hurdle, would we need to make a big deal out of the fact that America elected Barak Obama? Can we handle the truth that most white people are assuaging some misplaced guilt and being self-congratulatory? Or that the people of color in this country are waiting for a big upheaval to "even the playing field"? What about the political reality that a president and party who was anything but neutral had engendered such strong feelings that whether the public liked the new candidate or not, the country was going the OPPOSITE DIRECTION just to be that way? Seriously, did anyone NOT think that the Democrats were going to win? Are we truly that blind to history?

No comments: