Friday, July 13, 2012

Boot-y Camp

Why boot camp? I'm not into self-torture, or even self-sacrifice (except for work - thanks, Parental Units)...I HATE pain! But a line had been crossed. After losing 38 pounds since July 2010, I had put back 11 pounds - Fall 2011, not pretty. I needed a jump start. So I did it...I paid my money (okay, we had a coupon and I only had to pay $50) and told Nikki I would meet her in the park at 5:30 am on Monday, June 18.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?

It HURT!!! Everywhere, a lot, all the time...but I forced myself to never puke. I know "real" athletes do it all the time, but I just couldn't. That would have been the breaking point. Our workout was different (and tough) every morning for 4 weeks. I have NEVER been this tired. But there are results people...check this out:


                (May 24) June 18    -      July 13
Run 1 Mile     12:24                  10:24
Push Ups      12                        23 (this was timed)
Bicep          13.25                   12.0 (these are inches)
Waist          32.75                   32.0
Belly          37.75                   35.75
Hips           43.25                   42.00
Thigh         22.5                    21.25 (Total inches lost = 7)
Weight        174                      166

Believe it or not, the thing I am most proud of is the mile run.  The first day, I could only run about 1/2 of it.  After 4 weeks of running (most mornings the mile was part of our "warm-up"), I took 2 WHOLE MINUTES off my time and could all but about 15 steps (in the middle) of it. We did take before and after pictures, but I don't have them, so the head shots are as close as it gets. If you take into account the lighting differences, and turn your head a little to the side, I think you can see the difference in my face....

A few of the inspirational ladies that I have sweated with over the past 4 weeks, are going to do another round! However, I have 2 camping trips and school will be starting before it is over. One of the other great ladies in my life left me a message in my daily food journal...thanks Kate!

I have committed to: 3 weeks of circuit training through Phazes (same gym) and taking yoga and Zumba classes. Once school starts, I will do circuit training in the evenings (no way to do it before school when I have to be 40 miles away by 7:15 am) with some of these wonderful ladies, occasionally taking a yoga or Zumba class.

Andy says it's back to the bikes time - I went out last weekend and wore the dogs out! - and we will finally hit some of those big hikes this fall. On the list? Observation Point, East and West Rim trails, building up to a rim-to-rim of the Grand Canyon (no permit required if you do it in under 24 hours).

Here's the deal: I feel great, and I still do want to lost another 16-18 pounds. I think that it will be a good place for me.